Saturday 13 October 2012

Alternative Reality

There was more photography than I expected at the Salon Art Prize. I thought the standard was generally very high though and its my first introduction to Susanna Brown, an exhibition can reveal as much about the curator as an artist.

I bumped into Michael from Troika Editions again, he always looks surprised to see me, like I am stalking him (I'm not...no really). He was supporting three of Troika's artists Emma CritchleyCarolyn Lefley & Aliki Braine. Carolyn bravely showed some new works from residency at a talk with Uncertain States earlier this year, which I thought were an important continuation of her themes of de-construction but she's still not showing them.

It is difficult for me to rationalise the juxtaposition of my works with others; I can feel out numbered by the mob, perhaps others feel like this too. I accept that outside of the context of the original series the dislocation in my work can  feel rather awkward and uptight; my 'good friend' Jeremy Wood kindly suggested that it was an accurate reflection of my personality.

It's a shame I can't enjoy Private Views. I was embarrassed by the color temperature of the 'Anthony Gormley' portrait at the Taylor Wessing Portrait Prize (my fault), I thought 'Woman in Backyard with Rocking Horse' was too close to the toilets at the Schweppes Portrait Prize, I hated the selection of the gay couple  'Chris & David' in the John Kobal Awards * (my fault) and although I was best in show at the Creative Review Annual exhibition, the very kind curator had to get a step ladder and change the lighting in the middle of the a packed private view because I felt my piece was under lit. Yes, I know...

*This was a particularly good lesson in the pitfalls of ambition. I Learned then that being included was not enough if it is at the expense of integrity. Chris & David whilst intimate was the closest to the established stereotype of homosexuality from the whole series and isolating it detracted from my message.

Here are some process shots during the creation of Mother & Child #4, from series Mother & Child, Ukraine, 2011 (with my assistant and translator Ulya).






No comments:

Post a Comment